Random Post

Nov 26, 2012

New Project: AustinCraft

I've enjoyed the popular game Minecraft since its pre-alpha days, and I am very impressed with its amazing potential, scope, and replay value. It's especially fun multiplayer. But this weekend my brother and I got into exploring another aspect of Minecraft: Its customizability! The game has the option to add downloadable Texture Packs to the game, and I hadn't realized until this week how easy it was to make your own texture pack.

My brother and I are each working on our own texture packs now, with several things in mind. First of all, I don't mind the original texture pack of Minecraft. I actually prefer it to even the high-resolution texture packs available online. The classic look of Minecraft is what I began playing, and besides its timeless "cartoony" look I really like, I also enjoyed not having to worry about updating the texture packs as new items and blocks became available.

Despite the classic Minecraft look, there are some things about it that have always bothered me, and this is my chance to not only fix them, but add my own personal touch to them! For example, clay in the game is gray, and hard to distinguish near stone, gravel, and other gray blocks; so I'm coloring it red, like it should be. One of the things my brother and I had fun thinking about was more practical ways to construct tools with materials at hand.
Some of the other things that I've changed are the faces on pumpkins, the saturation of lighting blocks such as Glowstone and lamps, and the coloring of ripe crops. My brother's even changing diamond completely to emerald, making for an Elder Scrolls glass-like array of weapons and armor. I'm excited to be able to play Minecraft with the same gusto as before, with the exception of the blocks and items that always bothered me. It's going to be a fun project! I'll keep you posted with the details, and I'll of course publish it for you to download (provided you play Minecraft at all (I recommend it)) once it's done.

EDIT: Click the link in the sidebar to download it, or click here!

6 comments:

  1. I just have one question......... how can I do this on my own? Because I wanted to draw my own weapon and tool textures and change all that stuff and I just wanted to know how I could do this on my own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I've made this pack, but here's a good start. Let me know if it's outdated or if you need more information: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Creating_a_resource_pack

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Click the AustinCraft sidebar link or the one at the bottom of the post. I hope it still works!

      Delete
  3. when will the download be avalibe for 1.16?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of 1.14.1c, I won't be updating it anymore. I'm not into Minecraft anymore and they keep updating it with crappy new redundant minerals and stuff that just aren't worth updating. Sorry and thanks for your interest!

      Delete

I love feedback and suggestions. Please comment with your thoughts!